Hello! I’m back from holiday (we were very lucky with the weather, I’m glad it wasn’t this week!) and as promised here’s a little more about making my new t shirts from the lace and jersey materials…
I didn’t use paper patterns for the t shirts, instead I made patterns from t shirts I have and like – making your own patterns in this way is surprisingly easy, especially with stretch materials/looser fits which require little or no shaping, they are basically just 2 pieces – a front and a back! Just lay the garments out flat and draw around onto dressmakers tracing paper, adding seam allowances at the sides, shoulders and where needed for hems/necklines.
The main seams on the jersey t shirt were put together on my overlocker, using 4 threads/2 needles – overlockers are the best for sewing stretch, although you can do it without one by using a small zig zag stitch. I overlocked and turned the sleeve and waist hems, topstitching on my regular sewing machine, with a ballpoint needle of course! My machine doesn’t really like using twin needles so I didn’t push my luck, but if yours does this would be ideal. I made matching jersey binding for the neckline – did you know stretch binding doesn’t have to be cut on the bias? The jersey handled really well, it does tend to stretch out a little as you work with it and you have to be careful not to pull it out of shape, but I was pleased with how it springs back into shape if you steam as you go along.
The Lace t shirt is based on a cream one I’ve worn loads, it’s unlined and you wear a vest top underneath. To make it neat as it’s sheer I french seamed the shoulder and side seams. For the hem I trimmed around the edge of a scallop in the lace – this is some thing I often do with bridal dresses, it’s a bit fiddly cutting along the motif and you have to test to check it will not unravel, but it gives a lovely delicate finish and shows off the lace. I also did something similar for the sleeve and neck bindings, which I machined on and then hand stitched along the motif edges so there is no topstitching showing.
The t shirts were quick and easy to make and have washed well, I’m particularly impressed with the jersey as it is a really nice in between weight and isn’t at all see through. Next up I’ve got some of the lace in yellow ready to make a skirt, although I think Becki has beaten me to it…..